Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 24 - A year through my lens



I had a self portrait I had painted in high school that was stolen from my locker along with several other works. It was one of the few paintings I have done with which I was truly happy.  So when it was taken, it was a mark of pride that someone else enjoyed it enough to steal it, but frustrating that it was taken all the same.  It suddenly hit me today that I should recreate it in my new medium of choice, photography. 
So, as much as I loathe being in front of the camera, here you go. Two spider lights, behind model (me!) left and right. Used the gold side of my reflector to simulate the fire from my self portrait. Left the tungsten on for ambient and through the background really did well simulating the background fire/lighting from the painting.
The best part? It was stolen, so only the thief and I know how close or how far away this is from the original. Ha!
Oh, and yes, as a matter of fact, that is the very same flannel from the painting. Now pushing 18 years old.  Holes and all, that flannel is possibly the greatest single flannel ever created

1 comment: